2021 Nominations for the Dr. Espanola Jackson Solar Justice Award Open
Emphasis: Power is pleased to announce that nominations for the Dr. Espanola Jackson Solar Justice Award are open. The award is set to celebrate outstanding solar justice heroes in honor of the legacy of Dr. Espanola Jackson.
The late Dr. Espanola Jackson was a renowned environmental justice leader and solar ambassador for families with low income. She was a dedicated grassroots community activist that worked tirelessly to ensure economic justice, environmental justice, and that the civil rights issues of the community are addressed.
She made a great impact in the state of California, particularly Bayview Hunters Point Community and San Francisco. She was recognized and honored by the United States Environmental Protection Agency for the environmental impact she made in the country.
She collaborated on several projects such as coming up with a solar incentive plan for the residents of San Francisco. Dr. Espanola also advocated for the rights of tenants in the low-income category and was involved in the shutting down of the Potrero Power Plant.
Community activist Espanola Jackson died at the age of 82-years-old and left a legacy that will live on. To celebrate Dr. Espanola Jackson, Emphasis: Power is proud to recognize and honor great solar justice heroes in our community today with the Dr. Espanola Jackson Solar Justice Award.
The award recognizes individuals who are:
- Leaders who have served their communities for a long time anywhere in the US
- Great coalition builders who can mobilize their support in and around their community
- Committed to improving the health and well-being of people in their communities using solar energy
- Able to influence the local or state energy policy agenda by way of direct grassroots advocacy
- Working at crossroads to ensure access to clean energy & racial justice
- Dedicated to put a stop to the polluting energy economy and use clean energy opportunities to promote health, jobs, and more savings to people in their community
The aim of giving this award is to honor the important role of activism that is geared towards the community by people of color who are committed to environmental progress and clean energy transition.
The recipients of this award are individuals that practice environmental justice leadership and offer inspiration to the community to embrace the clean energy transition. They are role models when it comes to environmental justice leadership and a great inspiration to the public to work and support the move to a just clean energy transition.
Usually, Emphasis: Power holds this event in San Francisco. However, this year, the event will be celebrated virtually due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic. The timeline of the award process is as follows:
- Nominations Open: April 7th
- Nominations Close: May 3rd
- Nominees give limelight on our platform: During May
- Winner Announced: June 9th
- Virtual Reception: July 14th
All nominations sent for award consideration will be reviewed by a committee that includes Emphasis: Power staff and other people that worked with Dr. Espanola Jackson closely.
During the virtual event, Emphasis: Power will recognize the awardee and gift $5,000 to their organization.